HMRC reveals Top 10 worst tax return excuses for 2014!
As the Self Assessment deadline approaches on 31 January, HMRC reveals some of the worst excuses submitted last year for late tax returns.
The ten worst excuses for missing the 31 January Self Assessment deadline for 2013 to 14 have today been revealed by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).
From broken kitchen appliances, hungry pets and arguments that last five years – some people will stop at nothing to pass the blame for their tardy timekeeping. Some of the excuses submitted included:
- My tax papers were left in the shed and the rat ate them
- I’m not a paperwork orientated person – I always relied on my sister to complete my returns but we have now fallen out
- My accountant has been ill
- My dog ate my tax return
- I will be abroad on deadline day with no internet access so will be unable to file
- My laptop broke, so did my washing machine
- My niece had moved in – she made the house so untidy I could not find my log in details to complete my return online
- My husband ran over my laptop
- I had an argument with my wife and went to Italy for 5 years
- I had a cold which took a long time to go